I discovered a while ago that sunflower seeds are the new cashews. Now I always have a pack or two of these miraculous seeds at my home. Whenever you crave a creamy soup or gravy, sunflower seeds are there for you. I have also used sunflower seed cream for a pizza topping or as a lasagna sauce. Perfect every time. Now I want to introduce you to my latest favorite – sour cream made out of sunflower seeds. Serve it with a soup or make a macaroni or potato salad with it. You can also add some thinly sliced onions or pickles to it and you have an amazing ranch sauce to go with your veggie burger. Use it as you would use a regular sour cream. I also have to mention that sunflower seeds are super healthy, really cheap and allergy free. But now lets get to the easiest sour cream recipe ever:
- 1 cup / 150 g peeled sunflower seeds (not roasted)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp curry powder (you can leave it out if youwant)
- 1 ½ Tbsp soy sauce or tamari (or replace it with alittle bit more salt)
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 cup / 240 ml cold water (add less, if you want a thicker version)
Boil thesunflower seeds for 15 minutes in plenty of water or soak them for a couple of hours. Drain andrinse carefully with cold water. Blend them with salt, curry powder, soy sauce, vinegar and cold water until smoothand silky. It should take a couple of minutes. Keep in the fridge.